5 oz. starter (available online) OR ¼ cup unsweetened yogurt with live cultures
8 cups milk*
- Pour milk into a pot and simmer to 180 to 200 degrees
- Stir the milk as it heats.
- Remove pot from heat and let cool to 110 to 120 degrees.
- Transfer ½ cup of warm milk to a small bowl and whisk in yogurt or starter until smooth. Whisk starter-milk back into pot of milk.
- Cover pot with a large lid. Keep pot warm by wrapping it in towels or moving to a warm place, such as your oven with the oven light turned on.
- Let the yogurt sit for 6 to 12 hours, until the yogurt thickens. The longer it sits, the thicker it will become.
- Transfer the pot to the refrigerator and chill for at least another 4 hours; it will continue to thicken as it chills.
- Store in class jars
*Can be made dairy-free with full fat coconut milk. If using, let yogurt ferment longer, up to 36 hours for thick, creamy, dairy-free goodness.