Sweet Potato & Black Bean Hand Pies
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup finely diced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups diced sweet potatoes (or use leftover baked sweet potato casserole)
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup canned black beans, rinsed
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 store bought pie crusts, thawed
5 tablespoons all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 375℉ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
2. In a large skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil. Once heated, add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add the sweet potatoes and mix together with the onion and garlic. Allow to cook and soften for 5 minutes or so.
3. Next add the cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and mix well with the sweet potatoes so that they are evenly coated. If you are using leftover sweet potatoes, adjust seasoning as necessary as it may not be required depending on what the sweet potatoes have been seasoned with previously. Cook the sweet potatoes for 10 minutes, add the black beans and cook for 5 minutes more allowing the flavours to all meld together. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
4. Next you will need to roll out the store bought pie crust. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of flour onto a clean surface, place pie dough and roll out so that it is even thickness (about 1/8”) using a rolling pin. Using a bowl or a drinking glass as a guide, run a knife along the edge of the bowl to cut the dough to cut into circles. You can also press down using a cookie or biscuit cutter. Set the circles aside and continue rolling out and cutting more circles until all of your dough is used.
5. Spoon approximately 2-3 tablespoons of filling into the centre of your dough. If it feels like it is too much or too little, adjust accordingly. Place a top circle of dough over the filling. Crimp rounded edges with tines of a fork to seal it. Then using a sharp knife make three small incisions on the top layer of dough so steam can escape. Brush pies with egg wash and bake for approximately 30 minutes until pies are golden and baked through.
Maple Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
1 can chickpeas, rinsed
1 teaspoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375℉.
2. Drain the chickpeas, rinse, dry thoroughly with a paper towel and spread out on the baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small pot combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon. On low heat cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes until everything is well incorporated. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
4. Once chickpeas are roasted, add to the pot and toss evenly with the sugar mixture. Place the coated chickpeas back on the tray and bake for another 10 minutes until they caramelize.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for 1-2 days.
*Recipe from @sneakymommies