Is it pizza? Is it a waffle? They’re both! Wafflizas are crusty, cheesy, dippable goodness and the quickest way to make pizza at home. There’s no specific recipe needed, just make it a family night and have fun with it!
Everyone gets to pick their own filling for their own personal pizza waffle. Make them fo dinner, lunch, or even an after school snack. Pack them up in a lunchbox, Snack Pack along with a marinara sauce-filled Dipper, or a slice them into sticks to fit the double-sided Trailhead.
Pre-made pizza dough (find it in the refrigerated section of your grocery store or pick some up at your local pizzeria)
Your favorite marinara sauce
Broccoli (frozen and defrosted)
Spinach (frozen and defrosted)
Butternut squash (roasted)
Here’s some items you can add to your wafflizas that’ll boost their nutritional value:
- Ergothioneine boosts mood
- Vitamin B boosts energy
- Polysaccharides are good for your belly
- Vitamin K promotes strong growth
- Vitamin A, leutine, and zeaxanthin improves eye health
- Vitamin C keeps you from getting sick
- Folate protects your brain
- Magnesium boosts learning and memory
- Potassium keeps your muscles working and heart pumping
These will vary in size and shape depending on your waffle maker- just have fun with it! Use your Rover Tray to lay out the ingredients for each family member.
1. Allow your pizza dough to come to room temperature 20 minutes before using.
2. Dust your workspace with flour.
3. Grab a ball of dough estimated to the size of your waffle maker. Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch in thickness. If your waffle maker is square, cut the rolled out dough to shape. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
4. Preheat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray.
5. Add cheese and any other fillings to the center or your circle/square.
6. Top with another piece of dough.
7. Place into your waffle maker and close the lid, but do not lock it closed. Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
LUNCH WITH LEFTOVERS
Pizza Egg Muffins
Use all your leftover toppings to make mini frittatas! Make a batch in your Baking Tray and they'll be perfectly sized for your lunchboxes. You can store them in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. In a bowl, combine 6 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, 1 cup shredded cheese. Pour into Baking Tray.
3. Add any fillings you’d like to each section of the tray.
4. Top with a spoonful of sauce.
5. Place the tray on a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes.
6.Let cool before serving.
MORE LUNCHBOX LEFTOVER IDEAS:
- Make a pizza pasta and reheat it in your Explorer
- Remove the tray of your Explorer and toss a large salad
- Grab some wraps and make quesadillas
- Cut up a piece of hefty bread (like sourdough) or breadsticks and build some kebabs, complete with marinara sauce for dipping