The Top Seasonal Superfoods for Winter
These super cool foods will keep your tummy full when the weather gets chilly.
1) Cabbage - not only is it super yummy, but it's budget friendly! It's loaded with vitamins C and K, fiber, antioxidants and anti-carcinogenic compounds to help reduce cholesterol and even lower your risk of cancer and diabetes!
2) Brussels Sprouts - their peak season is September through February, so get them while it's still cold outside! Like the mini-me of cabbage, it's loaded with health benefits.
3) Winter Squash - Good until about March, it's loaded with vitamin A and potassium. Put it in a hearty soup and soak up the flavor.
4) Celeriac - underneath its strange exterior is a veggie bursting with flavor. It's low in calories and high in fiber, and make for a great substitute for hash browns.
5) Turnips - What a way to add a little crunch and color to any dish! Add turnips to your salad, or even smother them with cheese for a turnip gratin! Yum!
6) Citrus Fruit - Although we associate them with the summer, oranges, lemons, and limes are freshest in the winter! Great for dressing your other foods, or even just picking it up and eating it on the go
7) Dark leafy greens? Kale-yeah! Get your salad on this winter with fresh leafy greens packed with anti-oxidants!