Quinoa Berry Bars
Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine of the essential amino acids your body needs. It’s technically a seed, but prepared as a grain. You can find white, red, and black quinoa at most grocery stores as it’s gained popularity in recent years. These gluten-free energy bars are full of protein and fiber, making them a perfect go-to staple for lunchbox snacks.
1 ½ cup oats
1 cup cooked quinoa, fluffed and cooled
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups blueberries
2 teaspoons coconut oil or butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper and grease with coconut oil or butter.
2. In a bowl, combine quinoa, oats, and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Mix in banana, eggs, almond butter, vanilla, and salt.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well. Carefully fold blueberries into the batter.
5. Pour batter into the pan and spread evenly.
6. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until slightly browned and the top is firm.
7. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
8. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
* makes approximately 12 squares