Sopes are traditional Mexican corn cakes that make the perfect hand-held vehicle for all the odds and ends you can find in your kitchen. Get creative with the combinations and freeze them for up to a month for endless snacking!
2 cups masa harina
1 ½ cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 Tablespoons oil for frying
Ground or shredded meat
Chopped tomatoes or salsa
1. Mix masa, water, and salt in a bowl. Divide batter into 12 portions and roll into balls
2. Between 2 sheets of parchment paper, roll each ball to flatten into a disk ½ inch thick
3. Heat oil in a skillet. Add disks to the skillet and cook on each side 2-3 minutes until browned
4. Set aside on paper towels and immediately use a spoon to press a circular indentation around the edge to create a rim.
5. Top with your favorite toppings!