Melty Rice Cakes
Being a bit more dense than what most kids are accustomed to, it’s not always easy to swap out brown rice for white. But it’s also nuttier and chewier, making it a great base for savory cakes and balls. If you’re looking to sneak in some vitamins and minerals, then these cheesy hand-held patties are a win. Pack them up with your favorite pizza toppings for a fun make-your-own pizza lunchbox.
2 large eggs
2 cups cooked brown rice
¾ cup chopped spinach
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Mix in the brown rice, spinach, ½ cup cheese, and salt.
3. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Measure ¼ cup of the rice mixture and carefully flatten into rounds on the baking sheet.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake another 10 minutes.
5. Top each cake with the remaining cheese and let melt in the oven for another 2-3 minutes.
*Makes 6 rice cakes
*Can be frozen and reheated later. Omit the last step and add cheese topping when reheating.