Gluten & Dairy Free Pumpkin Treats
There’s the changing of leaves, cooler weather, and pumpkins displayed on every door step: but in my book nothing marks fall quite like the first pumpkin pie of the season! The cinnamon and nutmeg scents wafting out of the oven paired with that first delicious pumpkiny bite - there is truly not much better.
These pumpkin pie bars have all of the goodness of pumpkin pie, but in an easy bar form, making them a perfect addition to lunches or an easy after dinner treat. They are made with pumpkin, eggs, and coconut milk and sweetened with organic maple syrup - making them a treat that as a nutritionist mama I feel great about feeding my family. Plus, they are simple and come together in under an hour!
¾ cup coconut flour
½ cup melted coconut oil (grass fed butter works great as well)
½ tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
¼ cup maple syrup
2 cups pureed organic pumpkin (1 can of store bought pumpkin)
⅓ cup maple syrup (more if you prefer sweeter)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F. Grease two PlanetBox Baking Trays well with coconut oil, being sure to get all sides.
2. To prepare crust: Combine all crust ingredients and mix well. Divide evenly amongst all 12 bar molds and press into tray. Bake at 350*F for 12 minutes.
3. While the crust is baking, combine all ingredients for filling and mix thoroughly. When crust is finished, allow it to cool for 10 minutes and then evenly pour the filling into each mold.
4. Bake for 25 minutes until the middle of the bars is fully set (may require additional cooking time).
5. Allow to cool to room temperature and then place in the fridge for 2-3 hours before consuming. Once cooled, pop them into lunch boxes or simply enjoy as a delicious snack or treat! Enjoy!
* Store them in the fridge in an airtight container. Best consumed within 3 days - if they last that long!
Submitted by Morgan Simon, a Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (FNTP) and Nontoxic Living Expert. She works with women and children to help adopt a nutrient-dense, real food lifestyle and eliminate environmental toxins in order to live their best life possible. You can find her on Instagram @wellthymed or at WellThymed.com.